Frequently Asked Questions About Home Siding
Q: How much does siding cost?
A: Vinyl siding, the most popular and least expensive siding option, can range in price from less than $1 per square foot for do-it-yourself panels from a home improvement store to $2-$7 when installed by a licensed contractor. Additional variables that affect the price of home siding include the overall quality, paint or colors, insulation, accessories like soffits, and thickness. Siding price quotes and estimates will always be based on the amount of material - essentially the exterior square feet of your home. For example, if your house was 12' tall, 40' long and 30' wide, it could be a 1,200 square foot home with 10*(40+40+30+30)=1,400 exterior square feet, which could take roughly 14 10'x10' squares of vinyl. Click to use our siding cost calculator.
While vinyl is generally the least expensive of siding options, fiber cement siding is the next lowest, and up from there is wood siding, stucco siding, brick and finally stone siding.
Frequently Asked Questions - Continued
Q: How Does An Investment in Home siding Affect My Home Value?
A: Siding and Home Values -- HGTV recently aired their top 20 home improvement ROI (return on investment) projects. Home siding topped the list, adding, on average, between 80% and 110% of the cost of the project to the value of your home. This means that if you spent $5000 on new home siding, you can expect to add nearly $10,000 to the value of your home. The reason is that first impressions go a long way and siding that is done right can look absolutely amazing.
Q: What sorts of questions should you ask a home siding contractor before I hire one?
A: Here are some of the questions you might want to ask any prospective siding contractor:
1. How long have you been in the siding business?
2. Do you have a contractor license?
3. Are you insured and bonded in case of accidents?
4. Is siding your main business?
5. What types of siding/material choices can you offer me?
6. How soon can you complete the work?
7. How long will the project take?
8. What will it cost to replace the siding?
9. Does the estimate include the removal of old siding?
10. Will you remove the trash from the site when the job is complete?